THEN... Parker County
Settlement of Parker County
began in earnest during
the mid-19th century,
with pioneers finding the area
hospitable because of easy access
to water. Proximity to the Brazos
and Trinity Rivers and their
tributaries, plus an outbreak
of malaria in Tarrant, Denton,
By Rose Kertok
and Collin counties, led settlers
to push west into the area. The
county was established in 1855
and named in honor of Isaac
Parker, a state representative.
The area was fraught with
danger, with raids from Native
Americans a frequent occurrence.
Isaac Parker’s niece, Cynthia Ann
Parker, was famous for being
stolen from her home during
the Texas Revolution. Cynthia
Ann went on to live among the
Comanche and was the mother of
legendary chief Quanah Parker.
When Parker County was
established, the county seat was
designated as Weatherford, named
for the state senator of the district.
Post offices soon followed in
Weatherford, Ashville, Cooper
Hill, Cream Level (later know
as Veal’s Station), and Newburg.
Only the town of Weatherford
remains from those original post
The Civil War was hard on
Parker County, leaving the
county largely undefended as
most men of fighting age joined
the military during the conflict.
The population, number of farms
and ranches, and agricultural
production dropped sharply, but
PHOTO CREDIT: PARKER COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Was named for
Isaac Parker, a state
introduced the bill
that established the
county in 1855.
104 EAST PARKER COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE | RELOCATION & BUSINESS GUIDE 2019- 2020